Here are two delicious and very different healthy soup recipes for weight loss. The first one is a spicy butternut squash soup that has a velvety smooth taste with just the right amount of heat. The second healthy soup recipe for weight loss is a well balanced sweet potato and lentil soup. This is especially good as it has both healthy carbs and protein. If you are looking for a bit more protein then chicken can be added to these two healthy soup recipes for weight loss.
1. Spicy Butternut Squash Soup
• 1 Butternut Squash, peeled and diced
• 1 red onion, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1 red chilli, chopped
• small bunch of coriander, chopped
• ½ teaspoon of cumin seeds
• 11/2 pints of vegetable stock
• Coconut Oil
1. Fry the onion, garlic, coriander leaves and chilli in coconut oil for 30 seconds to release the flavour, add the diced butternut squash and onion for 2 mins so they are covered in the spice mixture.
2. Cover the mixture with stock and simmer for 30 mins. Let the soup cool and then blend in batches until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup
• 2 generous teaspoons medium / hot curry powder
• 3 tablespoons coconut oil
• 2 onions finely chopped
• 1 eating apple chopped roughly
• 3 garlic cloves crushed
• 20g pack of coriander leaves and stalks, chopped
• A thumb size piece of fresh ginger grated or 1 teaspoon Lazy Ginger
• 800g sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped small (about 2 medium
• 1.2 litres good quality vegetable stock
• 120g red lentils
• 300ml coconut milk
• Juice of 1 lime (optional)
1. Put curry powder in a large, dry saucepan and toast on a medium
heat for a couple of minutes.
2. Add the oil and stir as the spices sizzle.
3. Add onion, garlic, apple, coriander and ginger and season. Stir every now and then and cook for about 5 minutes.
4. Add the potato with the stock, lentils and milk. Then simmer for
20 minutes or so until veggies and lentils are soft.
5. Blend until smooth, add lime juice and check seasoning.
6. Garnish with coriander if you wish.
These two soups will be a perfect addition to your list of healthy soup recipes for weight loss. Remember though, although nutrition is important when you want to lose weight, so is training, specifically progressive resistance training. The combination of both proper nutrition (like the recipes above) and progressive resistance training will give you the best bang for your buck.