"Fresh Green Apple Turnover Cookies"*
Likely Page Break
Ingredients: 1 and 1/3 cups of ricotta cheese, 1/3 cup of confectioners' sugar, 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1 cup of whole wheat flour, 2 large eggs, 1 tsp of baking powder, 1 tsp of fresh lemon juice, ¼ tsp of salt, zest of one lemon plus a tsp of zest, 1-2 tbs of non-fat milk, 1/3 cup of Splenda, 1/3 cup of vegetable oil, 1/3 cup of sugar, ¼ tsp of vanilla extract, 1 tbs plus 1/3 cup of margarine, 3 medium Granny Smith apples peeled cored and cubed, and 3 tbs of golden raisins.
1) Mix the cheese, the flours, baking powder, salt, vegetable oil, milk, 1/6 cup of sugar, 1/6 cup of Splenda, 1 egg, 1 tsp of lemon zest grated, vanilla extract, and 1/3 cup of margarine in a large mixing bowl.
2) Plump the raisins in hot water for 10 minutes. Drain well and pat dry with paper towels.
3) Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Set out a couple of greased cookie sheets.
4) Mix the apples, remaining margarine, remaining sugar, remaining Splenda, remaining lemon zest, and the juice in a large saucepan over low heat. Once it starts getting bubbly, simmer for about 5 minutes or until the apples begin to soften. Stir in the raisins and let them cool completely. Discard the lemon zest.
5) Roll the dough out to ¼ inch thick. Use a round 3 inch cookie cutter to stamp out circles. Spread with a tsp of the apple filling leaving a ½ inch border around the edge. Brush the border with the beaten egg and fold over pressing firmly. Brush the tops with the remaining egg. Arrange on a cookies sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on the sheet for 2 minutes and then transfer to wire racks to cool. Dust with the confectioners' sugar.
6) Enjoy these delicious cookies with all the wonderful sweetness of life.
* Base of recipe from Cookies and then I molded it from there.