Over, and over - again, candidates for public office, often, resort to making, populist statements, full of empty promises and rhetoric, when, this nation, and its citizens, need, and deserve, meaningful leadership, representation, and service, to achieve priorities, instead of resorting to procrastination, and denials! It often seems, many Americans, either, fall - for - it, or, permit their personal desires, to dominate our cumulative, public responsibilities! After, over four decades, of working on political campaigns, I keep, feeling, we are still discussing, issues, which should have been addressed, many years ago! At present, there are, at least, 6 concerning examples, of major issues, which need to be addressed, in a real way, sooner, rather than later! With, that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss these, and why, we must demand, well - considered, timely actions, as soon as possible!
1. Common sense gun safety controls, rules, and regulations: Why does this nation, continue, to experience, so many more, gun - related, injuries, and deaths, than any other, major, nation, in this world? Why do we permit, gun manufacturers, to claim, no responsibility, and, rather, special advantages, even though, they seem to oppose, common sense, rules? We license drivers, and register cars, so, why don't we, do so, regarding, potentially, deadly weapons! I am tired of the habit of wrapping themselves in the Flag./ Constitution, and the claims, the 2nd Amendment, provides them, with the so - called, right, to bear arms! When this was introduced, guns took nearly 2 minutes to reload, and most Constitutional experts, state, was intended to provide States, the right to create a militia, for protection against foreign enemies, etc! How many more must die, before we use some common sense, including: license gun owners; register guns; prohibit assault weapons; and demand, both, proficiency, and medical/ psychological/ criminal screenings, as part of the process?
2. Systemic racism: If one believes, there is no such thing, as systemic racism, he probably, isn't paying close attention! We witness it, in our judicial system (Courts and Police), educational system; jobs/ employment; and access to affordable, quality health care, regardless of personal finances, etc!
3. Constitutional guarantees: We must protect all our Constitutional guarantees, of freedoms, and rights, especially, the concept, All men are created equal, instead of only, selectively! Our democracy, is, at - risk!
4. Necessary environmental protections: How can we stop, prioritizing, environmental protections, especially, related to clean air and water? Without this focus, and emphasis, the public health, is, at - risk!
5. Climate Change: Simply, because, addressing it, in a timely manner, some resort to denials, and short - term, economic gains, and some personal/ political agenda, and/ or, self - interest! Unless/ until, we immediately, proactively, proceed, to address this, we risk the sustainability of this planer, and future generations, health, and well - being!
6. Upgrade infrastructure: Constantly, addressing, infrastructure, is a common sense, responsible, approach, but, unfortunately, for decades, political leaders, have resorted to, kicking - it - down - the - road! Will it require some, major catastrophe, to get changes, or will that, not - even, make it happen?
Wake up, America, and demand better, and more common sense, from those, we elect! Do this soon, before it's too late!
Article Source: https://EzineArticles.com/expert/Richard_Brody/492539